Frequently Asked Questions
What are the different types of water-based smoke odour sealers?
There are two main types of water-based smoke odour sealers:
- Acrylic sealers: Acrylic sealers are the most common type of water-based smoke odour sealer. They are effective on a variety of surfaces, including wood, drywall, concrete, and masonry. Acrylic sealers are also relatively easy to apply and affordable.
- Water-based shellac sealers: Water-based shellac sealers are less common than acrylic sealers, but they are more effective on porous surfaces, such as wood and drywall. Water-based shellac sealers are also more durable than acrylic sealers and can last for several years. However, they are more expensive than acrylic sealers and can be more difficult to apply.
Which type of water-based smoke odour sealer should I use?
The best type of water-based smoke odour sealer for you will depend on the specific needs of your project. If you are dealing with smoke damage on a variety of surfaces, an acrylic sealer is a good option. If you are dealing with smoke damage on a porous surface, such as wood or drywall, a water-based shellac sealer may be a better option.
How long do water-based smoke odour sealers last?
Water-based smoke odour sealers typically last for several years. However, the lifespan of the sealer will vary depending on the type of sealer used, the surface it is applied to, and the environmental conditions. For example, water-based shellac sealers are more durable than acrylic sealers and can last for several years. However, any type of water-based smoke odour sealer may need to be reapplied after several years, especially if it is exposed to a lot of wear and tear.
Can water-based smoke odour sealers be painted over?
Yes, water-based smoke odour sealers can be painted over. However, it is important to allow the sealer to dry completely before painting. It is also important to choose a paint that is compatible with the type of sealer you use. For example, if you use a styrene-acrylic sealer, you should choose an acrylic paint.
Other things to consider when choosing and using a water-based smoke odour sealer:
- Coverage area: Be sure to choose a sealer that will cover the entire affected area. Some sealers have better coverage than others.
- Drying time: Different sealers have different drying times. Be sure to choose a sealer that has a drying time that is compatible with your schedule.
- Ease of application: Some sealers are easier to apply than others. Be sure to choose a sealer that you feel comfortable applying.
- Cost: Water-based smoke odour sealers vary in price. Be sure to choose a sealer that fits your budget.
- Apply the sealer in a well-ventilated area. Water-based smoke odour sealers may emit a mild odour while drying. It is important to apply the sealer in a well-ventilated area to avoid breathing in any fumes.
- Use a respirator if necessary. If you are applying the sealer in a confined space, or if you are sensitive to fumes, be sure to wear a respirator.
- Test the sealer in an inconspicuous area before applying it to the entire affected area. This will help to ensure that the sealer does not discolour or damage the surface.
Water-based smoke odour sealers are a highly effective way to eliminate smoke odour and prevent it from returning. These sealers are safe to use in homes and businesses, and they are typically easy to apply. When choosing a water-based smoke odour sealer, be sure to consider the type of surface you are applying it to, the environmental conditions, and your budget.
Browse our shop to find Y863 Smoke Odour Sealer or contact us to discuss.